The building was built in 1935 by Carolina Films, Incorporated
owned by Mr. and Mrs. Sidney Legendre. The theatre, changing management several times, showed movies until the mid-1970s
when single screens fell out of favor.
The building remained empty when in August of 1976 a group of eight Summerville theater enthusiasts recognized a need for live theater in the area and established the Flowertown Players, Incorporated. The current owner of the existing building was contacted, and these thespians presented their vision of the Summerville Community Theatre. It was agreed that the Flowertown Players could use the facilities as long as it would not cause any loss or liability to the owner. Every year following four or five shows were produced until 1983. Even with the constant reinvestment of proceeds into the upkeep of the building and purchase of theatrical equipment, they could not keep up with the deterioration of the original structure. The Players were forced to vacate.
However, the Flowertown Players team was not to be deterred. Moving the productions to Ladson Elementary School and rehearsing at the Coastal Center, they entered into negotiations with the Town of Summerville for the restoration of the old Theatre building and the return of community theater to Main Street. The Town of Summerville decided to sell the building to the Players. With a degree in theater, James F. Dean designed the interior of the auditorium with its raked, stadium seating and excellent acoustical projection from the stage. Through private investors, the building interior was gutted, and after a two-year renovation project performances came back to Summerville in 1988. The building is listed as part of the Historic District in the National Register of Historic Districts. Following Jim’s death as a member of the original movers and shakers, the building was renamed in his honor.