Many of our Volunteers first join us as Ushers at our shows.
Before the show you will help with inserts, hand out programs, and direct patrons to their seats and restrooms. During the show you will help with intermission. After the show we will pick up programs and straighten the theatre.
Here are a few Guidelines for this important job:
First Impressions Count! You help "set the stage" with a professional appearance (dressy/casual attire, black and white is preferred) and by giving our patrons your attention and assistance. Your cheerful and prompt service to each and every theatre patron is vital to our successful season. The following are some general guidelines for our most popular volunteer opportunity:
When you arrive please check in with the Box Office and we will provide a volunteer to pin to identify you as an Usher. Ushers should arrive at the theatre 1 hour before curtain time, 7:00PM for an 8PM curtain and 1PM for a 2PM curtain. We'll introduce you to the House Manager who will review the day’s instructions with you.
1. For their own safety, no patrons are permitted in the theatre until the House Manager opens the playhouse for seating. Typically, this is 30 minutes prior to curtain.
2. The House Manager will make sure that you understand the way the theatre’s rows are lettered and numbered so you can direct patrons to their seats. Each ticket will show a "Row" and "Seat" Number.
3. Ushers should remain at their assigned stations until curtain. Ushers will examine tickets for correct time & date and direct patrons to their seats, and hand them a program if they haven’t already picked one up. When possible ushers should escort patrons to their aisle – not just point.
4. Ushers are welcome to see the show. We ask that you sit in seats toward the rear of the theatre, and to limit movement during the show as this can be distracting to the patrons. Check with the House Manager, who will confirm with the Box Office the location of available seats.
5. Ushers assist with opening/closing the doors when the show starts, at intermission, and at the end of the show.
6. Ushers help clear the aisles and seats of any debris after the show.
7. Please return the volunteer pin to the House Manager or the Box Office before leaving.
We hope you enjoy our theatre and the experience of ushering. If you have any questions or suggestions, speak with the House Manager or Heather in the box office.
If you or a friend has an interest in other volunteer jobs with the theatre, please let us know!
We are a non-profit organization that truly relies on volunteers to operate. Your dedication and professionalism are greatly appreciated!